I haven't memorized Scripture in a while, and that's something I'm working on changing.
This is a spiritual discipline that has a million rich rewards. It is both a command and a profound gift to meditate on and memorize Scripture (Ps. 1:1-3, 119:11; Matt. 4:4; Heb. 2:1).
To motivate myself (and maybe you...), here are 10 of my favorite resources for Scripture memory:
1. This article by Tim Challies which compiles some reasons for Scripture memory from Donald Whitney's phenomenal book, Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life.
2. The Verses Project - The Verses Project is a website with over one hundred Scripture verses put to music, along with artwork of the verses to assist you in your memory (you can download it as desktop, tablet, or mobile phone wallpaper or print it as a poster), and a devotional.
3. Scripture Type - This is a collection of beautiful Scripture prints you can download for free (and there are some you can buy).
4. "An Extended Approach to Memorizing Scripture" - This lengthy article by Andrew Davis is free as a PDF, but if you don't like PDFs it was also recently made into a Kindle book which you can purchase for less than a dollar on Amazon. If you're looking for a structured method for Scripture memory and a way to make the verses stick forever, Davis has the answer.
5. Fighter Verses - A resource you can do on your own, with your kids, or with your church, Fighter Verses is an adaptable program to memorize Scripture. It has an app and it includes devotionals, resources, tips, music, plans, charts, and lists of categorical verses to memorize. For the organizer, this is definitely a viable option.
6. LearnScripture.net - This site uses the Charlotte Mason educational approach to help you memorize Scripture and review passages. You can also earn points and badges for memorizing and track your progress. It's great for kids!
7. Seeds Family Worship - Scripture put to music, designed especially for children and families.
8. Memorize Now - A flash card memory system.
9-10. JumpStart3 and The Rizers - Two more options for Scripture put to music, this more geared towards kids and influenced by pop. JumpStart3 does sometimes add some extra lyrics in their songs, all of which may not be totally accurate. But the simple verses to Scripture are very catchy. And The Rizers have some fun videos to go with a bunch of their songs.
What are your favorite resources for memorizing Scripture?